Sometimes we all face Windows 10 won’t shut down error on our PC. This popular Windows error occurs mainly because of Fast startup and Windows 10 latest update issue. There are different methods or technical settings that can be utilized to fix this shut error issue in your laptop. Here in this article, we are going to know these techniques in a step-by-step manner. But first of all, let’s find out the factors responsible for this shut error in Windows 10.
Why is My PC not Shutting Down Windows 10?
There are several reasons that prevent your Windows 10 from shutting down. Some of these include:
- Fast Startup setting is enabled.
- Windows 10 update issue.
- Errors in BIOS settings of your PC.
- Corrupt or damaged files in your system.
How to Resolve Windows 10 Won’t Shut Down Error?
Since there are different reasons which are directly or indirectly caused by the Windows 10 shutdown error, we can resolve this shutdown issue with the help of these given methods. However, it is advised to take a backup of your valuable data before performing these sets of actions.
Method 1: Disable Fast Startup/Hybrid Shutdown
You can disable fast startup to fix Windows 10 not shutting down quickly.
- Open the Search bar and type Power, sleep and battery settings and open the settings.
- Next, Scroll down and click on the Additional Power Settings option.
- Then from the left side of the Power option select what the power buttons do.
- Next click Change the settings that are currently available, then untick Turn on Fast startup (recommended) and hit the save changes button.
Method 2: Check Windows Updates & Run Update Troubleshooter
Sometimes Windows updates cause issues on your PC. Hence, it’s recommended to check Windows updates frequently and install the latest updates.
- Launch the search bar and type troubleshoot and open the troubleshooter app.
- Next under the get up and running option and click on the Windows Update button.
- Then click on the Run the Troubleshooter button.
Upgrade to Windows 11:
If this Windows update has not resolved your Windows 10 won’t shut down issue then you can upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10.
Method 3: Perform a Full Shutdown
Way: 1: Using Shift Key
- Press the Window button and click on the Power button icon.
- Now click on the Shut Down option and along with that press the Shift key simultaneously.
Now your Windows 10 computer shuts down completely.
Way 2: Using CMD Prompt
- Locate the search bar and search cmd.
- Now open the CMD Prompt app and type the command shutdown/s/f/t/0 and hit Enter.
- Now wait for a while and let the process complete, Windows 10 will shut down automatically.
Method 4: Boot Computer in Safe Mode and Prevent Automatic Start
You can easily stop automatic start by booting your computer in a safe mode.
- Hit the F8 button continuously until the Windows Logo appears.
- When the Boot menu shows up, release the F8 button and select the Safe Mode option.
- Now Boot your computer in safe mode.
- After Windows boot-up open the search bar and type sysdm.cpl
- Then open sysdm.cpl and in the startup & recovery tab click Advanced > Settings.
- Here uncheck Automatic Restart option & hit OK then reboot your PC.
Method 5: Run Windows System File Checker Tool
- Kindly type cmd in the search bar and Run Command Prompt application as Administrator.
- Now Enter command sfc/scannow
- Wait for a while and when the process completes, shut down your PC.
Method 6: Change BIOS Settings to Fix Windows 10 Won’t Shut Down Error
There may be an error in your BIOS settings that is causing this shut down issue. You can resolve it by making changes in the BIOS settings of your PC.
- Press the power button and force shut down your computer.
- When your PC is off, restart the PC and press the F2/F11/Del button to enter the BIOS settings of your computer.
- Now go to the Boot section and choose HDD or The Default in the top boot order.
- Next click Save or hit F10 to keep the changes and exit from the BIOS settings.
- At last restart and shut down your computer.
As discussed above, we tried to understand different methods to fix Windows 10 won’t shut down error. Here we detailed each method with its sets of instructions. If you apply these methods, your computer not shutting down Windows 10 issue gets resolved. However, if it remains the same there is a chance of hardware issues such as problems with the motherboard, issues with the power button, etc. You need to repair it at the service center of your PC. I hope you like it and find it helpful.