Safari is the default browser for Apple MacBook. Its high performance and accessibility make it a popular browser among Mac users. Apple Safari loads websites quickly and consumes less battery as compared to other Mac-based browsers. Apple tries its best to make Safari an effective & efficient browser. However, this Mac browser does not remain free from issues. Users face errors like Safari not working on Mac PC. Here, in this article, we’ll try to understand the reasons behind this Mac browser issue and will figure out possible ways to resolve this MacBook error.
Why is Safari not Working on Mac PC?
There are different reasons that are responsible for Safari not loading errors. Some of these are given below
- Using an older version of the Safari browser.
- Open too many tabs in Mac Safari.
- An extension or a particular website crashing your Safari.
- Loads of cache, download, and browser history that have not been cleared for a long time.
- Older version of Mac operating system.
As explained above, these factors affect the normal use of the Safari browser. Hence we should try to fix Safari not working on Mac error with the help of some proven techniques or methods. You can use these methods to resolve your Mac Safari issue.
1. Force Quit Safari
If any application stop working suddenly, we should try to force quit applications. The same applies to the Safari browser. Force quit Safari prevents the background process of Safari apps. You can easily force stop Safari in these steps.
- First, click on the Apple icon in the menubar.
- Now choose the Force Quit option from the drop-down menu.
- Here in the Force Quit Applications select Safari from the given list.
- Next hit the Force Quit button.
2. Update Safari
Sometimes the outdated version of the Safari browser caused Safari not working on Mac error. Hence, it is recommended to update & use the latest version of the Mac Safari.
- Choose the Apple icon and choose System Preference.
- Now click on the software update apps from the list.
- Click on the More info. link.
- Tick the box of Safari software to install the update.
- Click on the Install now button.
3. Restart Mac PC
Restarting our MacBook will resolve all the temporary software issues which we are facing in our macOS.
- Firstly click on the Apple icon from the menubar and choose the Restart option.
- Hit the Restart button to Reboot your MacBook.
4. Clear Browser Cache
As we use the browser a lot of data gets temporarily stored in the cache memory of the browser. We should clear this browser cache periodically for its better function.
- Start the Mac Safari browser.
- Now click on the Safari menu and choose the Preference option.
- Go to the Privacy tab and select the Manage Website Data button.
- Next in the pop-up window select the Remove All option.
- Select the Remove Now button and hit the Done button.
5. Disable Extensions
We use third-party extensions to easily perform different activities. However, some of these extensions caused the crash of the browser. We should disable Safari browser extensions to prevent the freezing of the Mac Safari.
- Launch the Safari browser on your Mac PC.
- Goto Preference option from the menu bar to open the Preference window.
- Now, move to the Extension Tab and it’ll show all added Safari extensions on your Mac.
- Here untick the checkbox to disable your Safari Extensions.
6. Delete Safari Preference
Any browser’s preference like Mac Safari includes home page, default search engine, new tabs, etc. But if any one of these data gets damaged then there is a chance that Safari not working on Mac. We should remove these preferences and let the browser recreate this file.
- Open the Finder application on your MacBook.
- Now press Command+Shift+G to open Go to the Folder pop-up tab.
- Next copy & paste the given path and hit the Go button.
- After that right-click the file named com.apple.Safari.plist and choose Move to Trash.
7. Using Mac in Safe Mode
If the above-mentioned methods don’t work for you, try to use your Mac system in Safe Mode. Your MacBook is in safe mode to diagnose or find the actual problem. You should follow these steps to run your Mac in safe mode.
- Turn off your Mac PC.
- Now Turn on your MacBook and press and hold the Shift key immediately until a login screen appears.
- Next, release the Shift key and log into your Mac system.
Now your Mac laptop is in safe mode. Lunch your Safari browser and check it.
8. Check Startup Disk
You can check the startup disk and use the Disk Utility to fix Safari not responding issue on your Mac. You can do it in the following steps.
- First Shut down your MacBook.
- Next, Turn on your Mac and hold both Command & R keys simultaneously.
- Once the Apple logo appears realize those keys and now your Mac is in the Recovery Mode.
- Now you see the macOS utility tab, here choose the Disk Utility option and hit Continue.
- Next, check your Mac startup volume i.e. Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD- Data, and choose both.
- After that click, the First Aid option, click Run and hit Continue to Run the Disk utility.
- If Disk Utility finds no error or repair errors then click Done and Restart your Mac & open your Safari browser.
9. Clear Mac Cache
If clearing the Safari browser cache has not resolved your safari not working on Mac issue. You should try to clear the cache memory of your Mac. This will fix all the issues related to your Safari working.
10. Reset NVRAM or PRAM
If all of the above measures are not resolved your Safari not responding error. You should reset the NVRAM or PRAM of your macOS laptop. You can reset it with the help of the following sets of instructions.
- Turn off your Mac PC first.
- Find these sets of keys on your keyboard: Option, Command, P & R.
- Now Turn on your Macbook and press & hold these four keys.
- Next, keep holding these keys for 20 seconds.
- At the last release, the keys will reset your Mac NVRAM or PRAM.
We discussed here different ways to fix Safari not working on Mac issue in a detailed manner. If you follow the given methods & their steps, you surely resolve your macOS browser error. Thanks for reading this article, I hope it solved your problem and you can enjoy browsing on your Mac Safari.